Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Why I Join A Life Group


by Rev. James Wong

A life group provides a structure for church growth and for members to love and care for one another in a practical manner. The followings are the benefits that I have found joining a life group.

1. A Life Group Helps Me To Find Power For Living. Mc Donald reminds me of hamburgers and KFC helps me to think of fried chicken. Invariably there will be a time of worship in a life group. The lyrics of the worship songs remind me of the grace and faithfulness of God. This gives me a proper perspective on life’s challenges. I can then rest assured that ‘There is no problem too big that God cannot solve it. There is no mountain too tall that He cannot move it. There is no storm too dark that God cannot calm it. There is no sorrow too deep that he cannot sooth it.’

2. A Life Group Helps Me To Develop Proper Life Values. Value is a belief system. It is influence by our past experience, childhood up bringing, culture and our own cultural traits. A boy who refuses to go to school unless he has a pair of Niki is a reflection of his value which affects his choices. Proverbs 10:2 says, “Ill-gotten gain has no lasting value, but right living can save our life” (NLT).  The discussion in the life group based on the Sunday sermon is a powerful way for us to learn the truths to ensure right thinking and right living

3. A Life Group Helps Me To Discover My Talents In Serving Others. God has given everyone of us gifts or talents and we are to use them well to “serve one another” (1 Peter 4:10 NLT). The life group gives me the opportunity, not only just to receive like a consumer, but to contribute in serving others like Jesus did. Jesus said, “For even the Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Matthew 20::28 NIV). It is very often in serving and giving that I discover the gifts that God has given me and thus, develop my potential.

4. A Life Group Helps Me To Build Meaningful Relationships. I cannot have conversation with 60 people but I can have meaningful conversation with 6 or 10 people in a small group. It gives me the opportunity to develop deep and meaningful friendship rather than superficial relationships with many people. Proverbs 27:10 says, “Do not forget your friends or your father’s friends ...” (NLT). This is the importance of friendship that the Bible teaches but good friendship can only develop among a small number of people.

Our understanding and attitude towards life group makes the key difference in our life and the lives of others. When you think of life group, think of the benefits as well.

1 comment: