Monday, November 28, 2011

Someone helps me to win


by. Rev. James Wong

Almost all of the Chinese Kung Fu stories revolve around the theme of revenge and selfishness. This is a succinct summary: ‘It is not too late to take revenge after ten years … the master will never teach all his martial art to his students for fear that they may revolt against him one day.’ This philosophy is rooted in centuries of Chinese struggle for survival and it continues to have a strong influence in our  life today. Jesus’ teaching is antithesis. He teaches us to forgive our enemies and also to love others as he had loved us.

Our natural tendency is to put people down. We have the habit to spot peoples’ weaknesses and criticise them but seldom do see what they can become in the future. That is the reason why Jesus says,
   
"Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults — unless, of course, you want the same treatment. 2 That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. 3 It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. 4 Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? (Matt 7:1-4 MSG).

To help others to win is to help others to rise to a higher level of success or accomplishment. We all have our own unique influence, position, skills and knowledge that we can impart to others. What does it mean when we ask God to make us a channel of blessings? Are we not asking God to give us a generous heart so that what he has given to us will not get stuck with us but will flow to bless someone else? With a helping hand and some encouragement most people can rise to a higher position and win in life.

The Dead Sea is known for its infamous character. Nothing can survive in that sea because its water does not flow to anywhere. Any water in your compound that is not flowing to anywhere will soon be a breeding ground for mosquito. A life that is self-centred will wither as a plant.

Where would I be if there is no one who gives me a helping hand along life’s path?

I first learned to read music from a brother who took time off to teach me when I was a kid in the choir. He opened my eyes to the beauty and greatness of music and he set a fire burning in my heart for the love of music that lasts to this day. A few days ago we were sitting at the same table over a dinner in the church in Tawau, reminiscent of the past. I thank him for teaching me to read music when I was a kid. He humbly told me, he learned music while studying overseas and he passed on to me what he knew. Today, he is the chairman of the Chinese General Council, Mr. Ng Shau Kee. Here is a man who helped me win. I owe my progress in life to many people like him. Wherever God has placed us, let us help someone to win and in return, God will give us the victory that we need .

No comments:

Post a Comment