Sunday, March 6, 2011

by Rev. James Wong
"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. " ~Rom 1:16 (NIV)

As I was coming out from the bank a handsome looking young man stopped me and asked me for 2 minutes of my time. He showed me some pictures and closed his canned talk by asking me for my support. Though I declined, I admired his courage of talking to me, a stranger, so freely without fear or shame and accepting my ’rejection’ with a broad smile on his face and thanking me for giving him the time.

Sharing the good news of the love of God that we have found in Jesus Christ is not a very difficult task. What makes it difficult is the fear of rejection and shame that is hovering over our heads. Unless we overcome this fear and shame factor, we will give ourselves a lot of unnecessary pressure. Here are a few things that can help us to ease the pressure and making sharing the Gospel fun.

1. No more ashamed to tell a friend
Paul says, “I am not ashamed of the Gospel.” Romans 1:16a (NIV). The word gospel is derived from the old Anglo-Saxon word meaning "good message" or "good news." Generally we have no hesitation to guide our friends to a good doctor when they are sick or give them information about products that we have found to be useful. We have no fear because we know that what we are doing will help our friends and enrich their lives. Every time when you want to invite a friend to church or to a church event, remember you are caring for your friends and sharing God’s love. There is nothing to be ashamed of in caring and loving people. Say goodbye to fear to share the Gospel.

2. No more ignorant of the power
The Gospel is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes. This Gospel has the power of God to bring about salvation, healing, restoration of broken relationships and the prospect of living a rich and satisfying life in Jesus Christ (John 10:10). It is our duty to share the Gospel but it is the Holy Spirit that brings conviction and opens the hearts of the people to the love of God. For those who don’t believe, we keep them in prayer. God has his timing. People go through different seasons of life and there are times when they will be more receptive to the Gospel. Don’t stop the sowing and watering but leave the result to God.

The Alpha Course is here again. It is an opportunity for us to invite our friends to attend. Research has shown that most people come to know Christ because someone invited them to Church. Ah … I was one of them. I remember someone invited me to church when I was a young kid. From then on, I followed Christ. I am the fortunate one.

No comments:

Post a Comment