Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Don't Miss It

by Rev. James Wong

“Take care then how you are living, not as unwise, but as wise; Making good use of the time, because the days are evil.” Ephesians 5:15-16 (BBE).

I am now back to Tawau and I am thinking of you from home. I believe everyone is excited to celebrate the coming Chinese New Year. The shopping, decorations, preparation and reunions will mean a lot to us. It is a time of joy and sharing. After reading through some slides I feel that it is also a good time for us to reflect on: what did you miss in life?

“In this life, what did you miss?” The wife asked the husband when she was 25 .

Despondently, the husband replied: “I missed a new job opportunity.”

When she was 35, the husband angrily told her that he had just missed the bus .

At 45, the husband sadly said: “I missed the opportunity of seeing my closed relative before his last breath.”

At 55, the husband said disappointingly: “I missed a good chance to retire.”

At 65, the husband hurriedly replied: “I Missed A Dental Appointment.”

At 75, The wife did not ask the husband anymore. The husband was kneeling in front of the very sick wife, remembering the question the wife used to ask him. This time he asked the wife the same question: “In this life, what did you miss?” The wife , with a smile and peaceful look, replied: “In this life, I did not miss having you!”

The husband was full of tears. He always thought that they could be together forever. He was always busy with work and trifles. So much so he had never been thoughtful to his wife. The husband hugged the wife tightly and said: “Over 50 years, how I had allowed myself to miss your deep love for me.” (from http://www.slideshare.net/hwailing/what-did-you-miss-in-life).

Ephesians 5:15-16 reminds us to live wisely and make good use of our time. To live wisely we need to evaluate our daily activities. What are our priorities? Priorities help us to determine the major things of our life. "Those who fail in love, life and relationships are those who Major in the Minor things of life!" (Anthony Robbins). So, don’t major in the minor and minor in the major things of life. The Chinese New Year is a great time for family reunion—a time to be together and appreciate each other, spending time with those who are the most important people in our life. Don’t miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment